[K12OSN] Why 4.1.1

norbert bear2bar at netscape.net
Sun Dec 12 15:00:02 UTC 2004

fhkms at adelphia.net wrote:

>If I was to upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1, will I have to reassign user names and passwords?  I installed 4.1 on a seperate box from my server and I like the looks of it.  I am just dubious about starting over with configuration.  When you put the 4.1 cd in the server and it says "install or upgrade in graphic mode", does upgrade mean "upgrade" without having to start from the beginning?  Thanks!
>

>---- Brian Beck <Linux_Man at comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Liam Marshall wrote:
>>

>>>I use 4.0 now.  I am upgrading my hard drives.  I can either stick
>>>with the version I have, or go up to the next stable version which is
>>>4.1.1   right?
>>>
>>>There is nothing wrong with 4.0 except for a few nagging things.  But
>>>it is just as easy to migrate the users and home directories to 4.1.1
>>>as to stick with 4.0 or nearly so as makes no difference.
>>>
>>>So what are the biggest changes between 4.0 and 4.1.1?   What does
>>>4.1.1 offer that 4.0 does not have?
>>>
>>>Does it offer anything for student users?  Teachers?  Is it Easier to
>>>administer/update?   Why would I go to this version?
>>>

>>>I guess what I am asking is, is there a faq or something that lists
>>>the changes/upgrades/additions between 4.0 and 4.1.1?
>>>
>>>thanks in advance

>>The jump from 4.0 to 4.1 included the huge leap to the 2.6 kernel.  In
>>many situations, I've found the 2.6 kernel to be more efficient and less
>>bulky; it also includes better support for newer technologies.  4.1.1 is
>>essentially the same but with some bug fixes and updated program
>>versions.  I'm currently helping to run a Dual Opteron server based on
>>4.1.1, and it's a fantastic OS.

Hi,

Upgrade means just that, the CD will parse the system and upgrade the
files that need to be updated. Althought you should have a backup of all
your user settings & configuration files,  thus far I have not had to
recreate anything after an upgrade.
We just upgraded units from 4.0.1 to 4.1, 4.1.1 & 4.2 without any of the
user settings or configuration files being modified. However the
dhcpd.conf,  lts.conf & hosts files might be reset.

good luck
norbert