[K12OSN] restore backup with chroot + grub-install

Robert Arkiletian robark at telus.net
Tue Dec 14 05:44:24 UTC 2004

Les Mikesell wrote:

>Yes, an image copy of a partition will work, but if you have to fix
>up a different-sized drive to boot, you might as well just run
>grub-install and then you don't really have to worry about
>sizes anywhere.

Good point.

>>Apart from the fact that tar can compress. I'm guessing tar is better at
>>rebuilding the "structure" of the filesystem. Whatever that means.
>>

>No, both just open new files and write them.  You can move from one
>type of filesystem to another with either tool.

Good to know they are equally robust.  I can't imagine doing this type
of thing for a M$ box. The more I learn about Linux the more transparent
everything becomes.

>Rsync copies files using a temporary name and doesn't remove an existing
>old file until the copy of the new one is complete.  I've only actually
>seen that when running over the network, but I assume the same is true
>for local copies.

What I meant was that you only have ONE copy of the backup with rsync.
The whole concept of rsync is to be able to do an incremental backup.
So it's very fast.  But tar copies everything everytime (if you want it
too). Slower but you have multiple copies.

>   Backuppc would automatically keep multiple copies
>online for you compressing into even less space than tar images because
>all files that don't change between runs become links that take almost
>no space.

Sounds like the best of both worlds. I will have to look into Backuppc.
For now though it's easy enough to use the mobile rack and the portable
ide HD. Cheap too. Thanks for all your help Les. Let's hope I never have
to use it.

--

Robert Arkiletian