[K12OSN] Very interesting study (good read)

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Tue Dec 14 19:52:41 UTC 2004

Linux vs. Windows TCO Comparison: The Final Numbers Are In

 "The Cybersource Linux vs. Windows TCO Comparison is back and better than
ever. In April 2002, Cybersource undertook the first study contrasting the
overall Total Cost of Ownership differences between Linux and open source
platforms on the one hand, and Windows and Microsoft platforms on the
other. We have now updated this report to accommodate the changes in both
platforms. We have also extended the model to increase its relevance and
accuracy.

The final numbers are now in and available from:
http://www.cybersource.com.au/about/linux_vs_windows_tco_comparison.pdf

 This study covers the average computer-usage requirements for an
organisation with 250 users, over a 3 year period. The costing models
include expenses such as workstations, servers, networking, IT staff,
consultancy fees, Internet Service charges, file, mail and print servers,
e-commerce servers, SQL and network infrastructure servers, Internet and
Intranet servers, line-of-business software, desktop productivity
applications, external training, printers as well as miscellaneous systems
costs. We also contrast free-download Linux and paid-for Red Hat
Enterprise Linux."

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School