[K12OSN] Deepfreeze

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Tue Dec 14 21:40:02 UTC 2004

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Tuesday, December 14, 2004 at 3:00 PM +0000 wrote:
>I have just joined the group so excuse me if the subject has been
>discussed
>already. I am running redhat Enterprise on 15 server and windows 95/98
>desktop. We use a netlog script to do update to our software that runs
>everytime the user logs on. I wanted to ask is anyone using Deepfreeze
>and
>have you found a workaround to allow updates to come down to the c:drive
>without thawing Deepfreeze? Also I would like to ask user of Deepfreeze
>how
>well it is working for them as we spend alot of time re-cloning machines,
>you
>know how students can be. Thanks in advance

DeepFreeze is an AWESOME product....it has literally saved my sanity on
the windows side.  We run Windows XP Pro with roaming profiles...so all
our Windows machines are "frozen"....since all the stuff that needs to be
saved is going to the server anyway.  DeepFreeze is great in the sense
that you no longer have to lock down the machines....you can actually
teach the OS now....want to teach kids how to change settings or
something....go for it!  The changes don't stick upon reboot.  Drag the
Windows folder to the trash....no problem.  Rest knowing that the "good"
image you put on in September or August will be the same image in June.
Don't worry as much about viruses...as they won't stick.  We run virus
protection on the few vulnerable servers (read...Windows servers) that we
have....otherwise we don't run AV software on the desktops.  All our email
is scanned twice for viruses....once at the Statewide ISP for Schools
(MSLN) and once here in my building (ClamAV and SpamAssassin)....and we
also use a FirstClass email server thus greatly reducing the virus threat.
 Soon I will be scanning all http traffic for viruses with the new
DansGuardian module for SME server 6.01.  (www.dungog.net/sme)  We haven't
had a virus in a LONG time (picture me furiously knocking on wood).  As
for the updating of machines (if you feel the need to....I don't....if
it's working...leave it...Windows updates often only make things
worse)....DeepFreeze can thaw itself on a schedule (such as the middle of
the night) to retreive updates.  If you get the enterpirse version I
believe it comes with a console to control all the frozen machines
(thawing, freezing, and deployment) from a master machine.  I use Altiris
Deployment server and it works nicely with that...I can thaw and freeze
"en masse".  The newest DeepFreeze allows a thawspace up to 2 gb.  As for
you question about updating on the fly without thawing...if the program
you wish to update can live in the
Thawspace....yes....otherwise...no....or at least the update won't stick.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us