[K12OSN] Re: Help! Please!

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Dec 16 15:37:58 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 08:42, Frank Samuelson wrote:

> >>If that's not possible, since it's safer, how do get knoppix to
> >>recognize my md1 array instead of 2 identical partitions.
>
> Do you mean md2?  I'm getting confused.
> You may  have to start  the array with raidtools or mdadm
> if it is not autodetected.
> I don't know which tools are in knoppix.
> Example:
>   mdadm --assemble /dev/md3 /dev/hdb1 /dev/hdc3
> (Don't use create).

You can check the state of the md arrays with 'cat /proc/mdstat'.
If a raid1 set gets out of sync it may come up with one working
and one failed.  In this case you can use mdadm to remove the
failed partition, then add it back (or in the case of a hardware
failure add back the partition created on a replacement drive) and
it will automatically sync a copy from the working drive.

---
   Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com