[K12OSN] uh oh

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin at snet.net
Wed Dec 22 12:51:51 UTC 2004

Ron Freidel wrote:
> Some teachers I know use  their phone numbers for a password, relatively easy
> for a student to guess, I have a few installations out there that has users
> that actually use password for a password, 'course those aren't on the net, so
> lax security isn't too bad, the networks are hard wired, you have to have
> physical access.
>
> But you weren't using an easy to guess password were you?

No.  My password was a sanskrit mantra with numbers replacing some
letters.  Not a common or easily guessed password, I should think.

Another school I
> work with uses passwords that I suppose would be easy to guess, a math teacher
> uses a word related to math, the coach uses the name of his favorite football
> team, etc, etc.
>
> All of these are a nightmare in the eyes of a person who's main concern is
> security.
>
> Burke Almquist (balmquist at mindfirestudios.com) wrote:
>
>>Someone probably figured out your user password and changed it.

But the machine was alone at home in my basement all day.
This is my home machine.  Not at school.
Heck, I'm not even teaching this year.  Miss it.
Moved to get my daughter into a better district (one that uses Linux in
the back end, too).  Haven't found a teaching position locally yet.

tony
--
Anthony Baldwin
http://www.School-Library.net