[K12OSN] Raid Level Choice

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Dec 22 16:21:08 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-22 at 09:58, Liam Marshall wrote:

> Question is, which way is better, 5 or 10?  or does someone prefer
> something else

RAID5 causes a big hit on write speed and most systems are also
very slow in degraded mode when you continue to run with a failed
drive.

If you can afford to lose half your disk space (and with IDE/SATA
that's no longer a big expense), using RAID1 will give better
performance.  Then you need to consider the tradeoffs for mounting
each RAID1 device as a separate partition (pro: you can recover
data from a single drive - con: inflexible disk space layout), vs.
combining them in a fixed combination with RAID 0 + 1, vs. running
LVM to merge the space.  If I had a reasonable backup system working
so the disaster recovery scenario didn't matter, I'd lean toward
LVM over RAID1 pairs, especially if starting fresh with FC2/k12ltsp4.2
which defaults to LVM in the installer.

---
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com