[K12OSN] K12LTSP 4.2.0 officially released

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Dec 24 17:38:57 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 22:58, Liam Marshall wrote:

> excellent!  This is actually my only complaint/rant about k12ltsp.  You
> come out with changes so often!  That is great because it means you are
> working on the issues we discover, but it makes me somewhat nervous
> trying to explain to my principal why I am upgrading the server
> software, again!

This is mostly driven by the fedora release schedule and mostly a
good thing.  The best part is that you don't have to wait for
approval to buy the new version...

Within any major release (including Eric's beta/rc cycles) you
should be able to do a simple 'yum update' to pick up the
current changes.  From one release to another you can usually
do a CD upgrade without having to do much other work (although
you should allow time to fix up a few things or have a test
server around to try first).  However, I think it is an advantage
to have the discrete releases fairly often so that if you
do encounter a problem with the upgrades or you want to take
advantage of an improvement in the filesystem layout you have
a current known-to-work system with a clean re-install.

For larger installations, it might be worth building a
separate server to act as the LDAP authentication server
and NFS server for home directories on one of the free clones
of RHEL like Centos that has a much slower update cycle. That
way you can blow away almost everything on your k12ltsp servers
whenever anything better comes along without worrying about
adding the users or their files back.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com