[K12OSN] Vidwo Editing Software

Rob Owens robowens at myway.com
Mon Dec 27 11:50:15 UTC 2004

I've done a little experimenting w/ video editing in Linux.  So far I haven't found an all-in-one product that's easy to use, but it may be that I just haven't looked in the right place yet.

Kino - I've used this to capture from a mini DV camera and to edit video.  It will output mpeg format or output to DV tape or to a DV file.  It has transitions available, which I haven't tried yet.  It does not handle DVD authoring.

Avidemux - I've used this to edit video and encode in various formats (mpeg, Xvid, etc.)  It does not capture or output to tape.  It can open avi files or vob files (from a ripped dvd), but I don't think it can open mpegs.  It is similar to a Windows program called Virtualdub.

Cinelerra - This is supposedly a pretty high-end program, but I haven't played around w/ it enough to get any results.

LiVES - Seems like it should be pretty good, but it takes forever to load on my system so I don't use it.

There are others, but I've found that I like Kino and Avidemux.  Now I need to find a good DVD authoring tool.  I see plenty of how-to's to do it at the command line, but I'm looking for something GUI.  I've tried a few w/ not much success, but I didn't put a lot of effort into it.  If you're interested, I can give you a list of all the programs I have loaded on my home system, but I can't give them a recommendation for or against.

There is a not-for-free program called MainActor.  It is a video editing program, but I don't think it does DVD authoring either.

-Rob