[K12OSN] Tax Deductions

Rob Owens robowens at myway.com
Tue Dec 28 11:46:11 UTC 2004

I'm not an accountant, so don't take my word as gospel...

I worked w/ a not-for-profit organization that occasionally received donations.  For one of the larger donations, the donor asked us for a "thank you letter" to him stating what was donated, and to include our tax ID number on it.

To my knowledge, the recipient of the donation does not have to do anything but accept the donation and possibly record it as income.  It's the donor who needs to claim the deduction on his taxes and must be able to back up his claim in case of an audit.

-Rob