[K12OSN] username & no password

norbert bear2bar at netscape.net
Wed Dec 1 02:16:21 UTC 2004

debbie at redeemer.qld.edu.au wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>Once upon a time while still on my test box I setup a test user 'prep' (read:
>Kindie) with *no password* - they just clicked on the 'P' I created for them in
>the standard photo greeter login screen. Their username was 'prep' and they had
>*no* password. BUT I can't remember how I did it and the test box is now
>something else... and I'd like some guest usernames now with no passwords.
>
>Any ideas how I might have done it?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Debbie

Hi Debbie,

The easiest way is to use Webmin to create the user accounts. One of the
options is to NOT have a user password. Otherwise you'll have to use
"useradd" or "adduser" command and then use the "System Setting" ->
"Users & Groups" -> select the user(s) and manually unlock each account.
You can also manually create the account and then delete the password
field in the "/etc/shadow" file

good luck
norbert