Re: [K12OSN] K12LTSP & Workstation Sound

Shawn Powers wrote:

Michael Elliott wrote:

Can anyone please offer advice as to how I might be able to get the
sound going on my workstations?

Michael, I have been hoping someone would explain nasd for a while, I just don't understand what it is or does. I have sound working with esd as the sound daemon, but not with flash sites (no sound in flash)

If you use "esd" instead of "nasd" -- and then reboot the thin client, try (in an xterm) typing "esdplay soundfile.wav" and see if you get the sound to play. If so, then you have working sound, and can configure any application that supports esd to use it.

Thunderbird email seems to just magically work without configuring for esd specifically. Mplayer (video player, awesome, worth the compile) works if set to use esd, xmms works if set to use esd (or esound, it's the same thing esd=esound), etc, etc.

If you get any other info, I'm very interested as well.

-Shawn

I've seen a lot of messages on the list about workstation sound. How about we add a section in the wiki to try and centralize things? OK, I admit it, I am doing that now. I have added a section under "Software" called "WorkstationSound". Hopefully, we can centralize the knowledge about sound there. I've included the information from this thread into the wiki, without credit.

So far, I have to admit, I haven't tried too hard myself, and my system doesn't do sound under KDE anyway.
I'm not an authority. It would be nice to find some authoritative information in the Wiki.

http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/WorkstationSound

Angus Carr.