Re: [K12OSN] K12LTSP & Workstation Sound

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 11:39 -0600, Angus Carr wrote:
> Eric Harrison wrote:

> >Thanks for the info Gideon... I'm already working on packaging it ;-)
> >
> >I'm thinking that a cron job that checks for /tmp/.esd/socket and
> >creates
> >it if it does not exist would be the least hackish approach.
> >
> >I can add a post-install script to the ltsp-sound package that checks
> >for
> >the /usr/lib/libesd.so.1 symlink. These two additions should do the
> >trick.
> >
> >-Eric
> >

> Instead of a cron job, why not put it into /etc/rc.local or something
> like that. It could run on boot, right after the process that clears
> /tmp. For that matter, it could run as part of the process which clears
> /tmp. I'm sure that's just a shell script anyway.
>
> Angus Carr.

From rom a packaging perspective, it is bad to add things to /etc/rc.local
(packaging should avoid touching existing files).

tmpwatch runs daily as a cron job, so at the very minimum the check
for /tmp/.esd would have to run once a day. We need to make the
assumption that folks do not boot their servers every day ;-)

Everything in /tmp is temporary, it is not unreasonable for an
admin to just nuke /tmp/. We need to account for this possibility.

So my thinking is that an hourly cron job would be best.

-Eric