[K12OSN] Re: Standard Mozilla favorites and Mac OS X

Sez wrote:

1. Is it possible to create a standard "favorites" list in mozilla that
all users will see? I don't care if they add items to their own copy of
the favorites, but I would like to create a standard set that everyone
starts out with.

Dear Sez,

This is guessing, but I think it should work. Find the directory where the default bookmarks.html file for Mozilla is and replace it with one of your creation. (make sure the permissions are the same after replacing as they were on the original)

For example, on my old K12LTSP 3.12 server the file is at /usr/lib/mozilla-1.2.1/defaults/profile/bookmarks.html

2.  How do you connect to a Mac OSX server from a LTSP client?  The OSX
server is serving appleshare as well as windows clients.

Any help here would be appreciated.

I'm not going to be able to answer this one very well, but I'll ask for some clarification. Do you mean automagically connect when a user logs in to their home directory, or once logged in how can a user get to their stuff on the OSX server 'by hand'?

A few different ways via the command line would include ftp, ssh, and scp. For GUI, I think in Gnome they could use the network browser to connect to the samba shares on the OSX server (or via AFP if you have netatalk installed on your LTSP server) . The automagically stuff can probably be done using LDAP if you have that running on the OSX server and the LTSP server, but I have no idea how to do that.

Peace,
Jimmy Schwankl

**This message was sent from the Chatham County Schools Mail Server**
*****All e-mail correspondence to and from this address is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law, which may result in monitoring and disclosure to third parties, including law enforcement.*****