Re: [K12OSN] alternative power supply

pnakashi k12 hi us wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: Rob Owens <robowens myway com>

The best thing to do would be to actually measure the power consumption. You could do it on the input side and you wouldn't have to open the case.

We have power issues in our school lab. I would really be interested in finding out how to do this. Anyone know?
--Peter
Peter,
You can measure power easily with a clamp around type amp meter. It basically has a magnetic clamp that you clamp around a power wire and it gives a current readout. Multiply this by 120 (volt) to get power. The nice thing is you don't need to touch any high voltage wire. You will need to clamp only 1 wire (hot or return) but you can easily build a short extension cord with wires split, or carefully split the outer insulation on an existing extension cord and seperate the wires (think disecting an earthworm in science class). See url to radioshack ammeter for $20.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F008%5F003%5F000&product%5Fid=22%2D602

Thanks,

Dale