[K12OSN] Edutainment Package

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Fri Dec 3 20:28:47 UTC 2004

Jim Kronebusch wrote:
>>You can install Debian on a powerpc.  Go with testing.  Install the
>>Desktop profile.  When you log in, selecting KDE as your
>>window manager,
>>you will have a decently stocked edutainment menu.
>>"Apt-cache search"
>>for any other programs that you want, or just type "apt-cache search
>>education" and pick away.  I have used Debian on the ppc for
>>years; you
>>won't be disappointed.
>>
>>--scott
>

> I see 14 iso's, is this for real?  Do I download all 14?  Is there less
> CD intensive recommendation?

Scary, Huh?  :-)

The first CD, especially if you go with Testing, RC2, can install a
complete desktop from the CD.  Great if you have no network.  Since you
have a network, just use Synaptic or apt-get to install the rest of the
deal.

Get your images here

If you want to go lighter on the install CD, use the net-install iso or
the business card iso.  Both depend on a working network, though.  The
debian installer, RC2, rocks bells and will configure your wireless nic
as early as installation.

> Thanks for the suggestion.

my pleasure.

It was very cool to learn that I can use fink on OSX for this, too.

--scott