Re: [K12OSN] hotplug issue

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004, norbert wrote:

Are you referring to this?
http://pxes.sourceforge.net

Yes that's the CD I'm using however I'm using K12ltsp on the server..

If you are using pxes, client-side problems probably need to be
reported to the pxes folks.

PXES *replaces* the K12LTSP client boot process, having K12LTSP on
the server doesn't really matter in this case.

Hopefully that makes sense ;-)

The problem is specific ot 4.2 since the CD work fine with both 4.0.1 & 4.1.1 therefore I must conclude that something has changed on the server side ???? But as I mentionned in my last email I'm getting the same problem with a boot floppy also.....

.....and that doesn't make sense :-D

In LTSP/K12LSTP, the client uses BOOTP/PXE to download a kernel and an initial ram disk. The initial ram disk contains software to NFS mount the server and to execute the LTSP software via NFS. The X server the client runs, for example, is located on the NFS share.

PXES is self-contained, the boot image contains all of the software
needed, including the X server. NFS is not used at all (and since
the LTSP software is *only* on NFS, PXES never uses the LTSP software).

When you boot via floppy, are you using a LTSP or a PXES image?
If you are getting hotplug errors, it must be PXES since LTSP does
not include hotplug...

Could you post your /etc/dhcpd.conf? That'll help us figure out exactly
what software is running.

-Eric