Re: [K12OSN] hotplug issue

eharrison mail mesd k12 or us wrote:

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004, norbert wrote:

I rebuilt the system and found two problems, bad cat5 cable & flawed floppy hence the other issues. So now it starts but when the WS logs in I get what started the whole issue of testing "upgrading" the system. These where errors I had with 4.1.1 and I had installed XFree 4.4 but Jim said that LTSP uses xorg & not XFree86............................

"Error activating XKB configuration.
Probably internal X server problem.

I've seen one case recently where the symlink trick Jim
posted (ln -s xorg.lst /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86.lst)
did not clear up the error.

I happened to log in with the "Reset Desktop" session and the error
went away.

I have been unable to reproduce this, so I am highly uncertain
whether or not reseting the desktop setting was actually
effective or not. But it may be worth trying...

-Eric

HI Eric,

Nope didn't work.... actually I had to press "OK" on several error messages before it went away. Once gone it works well except that the session doesn't log out.

Here is the complet process for this install;

a) Install directly from CD beta5

goes well up to the selectioin of software and then a series of errors messages appear in a window most referring to /usr/src/.../"filename.tgz" about 15 or 20 items listed.

b) Upgrade from a clean 4.1.0 to beta 5

Works except that networking on dual NIC cannot be configured ..... neat shows the cards but when I try to activate them they do not come up. ... ethx failed for both cards

c) Upgrade from clean 4.0.1 to beta 5

XKB error messages, in spite of links being there & reset desktop.
Second NIC (eth1) gets IP from external server but cannot communicate with it afterwards. ping responds Destination Host Unreachable ... yet it gets an initial IP address that's confirmed on the router.
eth0 internal works fine

norbert