[K12OSN] RE: RAID 1 performance increase

Sean Harbour SHarbour at nwresd.k12.or.us
Sun Dec 5 18:19:24 UTC 2004

>Doing raid0 may give a performance increase, raid1 gives redundancy.  You
>can do either or both.

 The common view seems to be that RAID1 is only for redundancy, and has the same or lower performance than a single drive system. That's not necessarily true.

 I'd like to point out that in some cases, RAID1 on SATA or IDE can give a read performance increase, in that the low level driver is normally capable of reading data from either drive. This means that two separate data streams can be read simultaneously from the two drives dedicated to a RAID1 set. For IDE or SATA, I think you have to disable the atime attribute of the volume when mounting it to achieve maximum benefits.

Thanks,

Sean Harbour
sean at harbours.us