Re: [K12OSN] openoffice quick startup

Eric Harrison wrote:

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 11:58 -0600, Angus Carr wrote:

Rob Owens wrote:

I saw this on a website discussing the SimplyMEPIS distro. They say it will cut in half the time it takes for openoffice to load.

(as root):
oooprelink -f

I'm in Windows now and can't try it out. If anybody does try it, please post your results to the list.

-Rob

On a Pentium III laptop with 256 MB RAM, and not much else going on, Gnome launched, used wall clock time with an external stopwatch from time the mouseclick to launch from the menus. I have pasted in below the prelink script I used, which is based on debian's script, but uses FC3 paths (Using K12LTSP 4.2.0 beta4). The following is a single test, so this is not exhaustive.

28 seconds to splashscreen, 49 to OOwriter being ready to accept input.
Flush the cache*, then...
20 seconds to splashscreen, 40 to oowriter being ready to accept input.

<script snipped>

/usr/sbin/prelink $DEBUG \
--ld-library-path=/usr/lib/ooo-1.1/program \
--conserve-memory /usr/lib/ooo-1.1

<script snipped>

This does not make any difference on the boxes I have available to me
at the moment. At least with K12LTSP 4.1 & 4.2 (I'm *pretty* sure 4.0
as well), OOo is automatically prelinked every night.

"prelink -p" will show you what is in the prelink cache.

-Eric