[K12OSN] Good News!

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Mon Dec 6 17:36:08 UTC 2004

> How do you guys handle the tech support aspect of getting
> K12LTSP into schools?  Do you agree to train their IT staff
> (or IT person) and then offer email assistance for a certain
> period of time?  Is it all for free, or do you charge for
> tech support after a certain amount of time?

Excellent question.  Most of this is still in such a development stage I
am still trying to figure out how we are going to do it.  Most likely
support will be tailored per school depending on funding and expertise.
I am glad you have received some responses to this post as I could use
the advice :-)

Currently our Mac schools I sell x amount of hours per year at a reduced
rate depending on the amount of hours purchased.

1 hour (on call)= $68 per hour
25 hour block = $55 per hour
50 hour block = $50 per hour
100 hour block or more = $45 per hour

I also waive travel time one way for those who purchase blocks of
support hours.  I imagine I will most likely try to offer the same type
of pricing for LTSP schools as well.

But for now I am trying to leave our cost out and just pitch the
concepts and support options.  I tell them about this list, the Open
Source Community and so on, or the option to retain our services.  I
don't want them to think I am pitching this as a way to put money in my
pocket, rather a way for them to save.  Once I get past that hurdle I
will get more specific with support.

---