[K12OSN] xserver error

bear2bar at netscape.net bear2bar at netscape.net
Mon Dec 6 22:19:23 UTC 2004

Jim McQuillan <jam at mcquil.com> wrote:

>Norbert,
>
>First off,  'VESA' would be wrong.  You'd need 'vesa'  (LOWERCASE).
>
>If that doesn't work, you could try the older XFree86 3.3.6 drivers.
>To do that, you'd preface the name of the driver with 'XF86_'.
>
>Probably a good choice would be:
>
>   XSERVER = "XF86_SVGA"
>

>If you continue getting the 'Parse error', it would be interesting to
>see what is at line 60 of the XF86Config.1 file.  To do that,
>try setting:
>
>    SCREEN_01 = shell
>
>THen, reboot the terminal.  You should get a bash prompt.  At that
>point, type 'startx', and it should attempt to launch the Xserver.
>It will likely fail and return you to the shell.
>
>Then, you can go look at the file in /tmp.
>

>Jim McQuillan
>jam at Ltsp.org
>

>On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, norbert wrote:
>
>> dhuckaby at paasda.org wrote:
>>
>> > AUTO seems to only work on the newer hardware (in my experience)
>> > and VESA has worked for EVERYTHING I've tried...a variety of out of the box
>> > thin clients and those "junker" donations as well.
>> > I always say "try it"...it won't break anything for sure..and if it does...a
>> > simple edit and you're back...
>> > I'm a copy/paste and comment-out person =)
>> > that way you just have to remove one '#' and insert another
>> >
>> > --Huck

>> Hi Huck,
>>
>> Tried VESA, VGA, AUTO, HELP & none worked alll come back with the same error
>> ....... any other suggestions
>>
>> thks
>> norbert

Hi Jim,

Actually the first thing I did was to look for the /tmp/XF86Config.1 and line 60 has nothing to do with the Xserver nor is there any mention of a "Modeline" parameter.
But I will try changing it to XF86_SVGA.

The odd part was that it worked the first time I started the server and booted the WSs, then when the WS were restarted this message came on. Also the stations that booted the first time are still working, only the ones that were restarted ????
Should that fail can the "Xserver " be reloaded, rebuilt ?