----- Original Message -----
From: Bryant Patten <opensource whitenitro com>

for a quick and dirty consumer-friendly meter:

KILL A WATT, ELECTRICITY USAGE MONITOR
http://www.x-tremegeek.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=112+0240

Cool. Thanks for all of your responses. I did further research by speaking to a couple of engineer types I ran into on Saturday. I'll spare you the detailed calculations, but the bottom line is...

If you already have thin clients or can get them for free (donations), it's not worth it to purchase low power alternatives just for the power savings.

Same goes for CRT vs. LCD monitors.

According to the two engineers, electricity is so inexpensive, you'd have to run the 10 watt thin client 24/7 for over 20 years just to recoup its initial cost.

Until low power clients and LCD monitors get significantly cheaper, or electricity gets significantly more expensive, a donation is still your best bet, even if the resulting thin client draws 100+ watts.
--Peter