Re: [K12OSN] TuxType on Clients

Hi Debbie,
In my experience TuxType is slow because of banwidth bottleneck between server and thin clients.
I did a rough test the other day with 10 kids on thin clients. I logged into the server and ran the program 'top' at the command line.
I watched the percentage usage of the processors. (2 hyperthreaded processors are reported as 4 processors with 'top')

None of the processors cracked 15% usage, but the kids complained that the program was bogging down.

I have an Amer.com gigabait switch arriving tomorrow and hope that installing that between the server and the kids will help.

I'll let you know.

Duane Wilson

Debbie Schiel wrote:

Hi everyone,

A couple Year 7 students (age 12/13) tried out TuxType2 on two clients yesterday and they loved it!!

Now today I've setup another mini-trial for Year 2 students. Six clients with TuxType and it is soooo slow... They're working on the 'hard' level already, it's chugging along so slowly. I thought that our big hefty server would have been able to handle this.

I'm using k12ltsp 4.0.1 Fedora Core1 - server is Acer Altos G700 with about 2GB of memory (I think...), the clients are PIIIs with 127MB ram.

Is there anything I can do to speed things up - or do I just have to avoid using tuxtype?? (a big shame as it is a great piece of software!)

Thanks,

Debbie