[K12OSN] TuxType on Clients

Debbie Schiel debbie at redeemer.qld.edu.au
Tue Dec 7 23:28:10 UTC 2004

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 07:55, Doug Simpson wrote:
>
>>At least put a GB NIC in the server and a 100/1000 Switch.  That should
>>help.

Hi Doug, we have a gig nic on the server but I think the switches are
the standard unexpensive kind 10/100 ... and I'm showing my ignorance
now but I don't know the difference between a switch/hub. I do
understand that a switch is better, right?

Plus the clients in our mini-lab have to go through three switches
before reaching the actual pipe that goes into the server. The server
sits in a small copyroom next to the office (un-airconditioned!), with
the client eth cord going to a main switch, then one lead goes from that
  to another big switch in a different block, and that switch has leads
going to ports in the wall that the clients link to.

I'd love to draw you a picture but I just can't get my head around
Gimp... macromedia fireworks was my drawing tool and I haven't found a
linux replacement... I miss it terribly!!

> Has anyone tried running tuxtype as a local app on the client?

Not sure how this is done on a client booting to the server, but I'd
love to give it a go. Could you please forward some instructions?

http://www.redeemer.qld.edu.au/