Re: [K12OSN] TuxType on Clients

Les Mikesell wrote:
On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 07:55, Doug Simpson wrote:

At least put a GB NIC in the server and a 100/1000 Switch. That should help.

Hi Doug, we have a gig nic on the server but I think the switches are the standard unexpensive kind 10/100 ... and I'm showing my ignorance now but I don't know the difference between a switch/hub. I do understand that a switch is better, right?

Plus the clients in our mini-lab have to go through three switches before reaching the actual pipe that goes into the server. The server sits in a small copyroom next to the office (un-airconditioned!), with the client eth cord going to a main switch, then one lead goes from that to another big switch in a different block, and that switch has leads going to ports in the wall that the clients link to.

I'd love to draw you a picture but I just can't get my head around Gimp... macromedia fireworks was my drawing tool and I haven't found a linux replacement... I miss it terribly!!

Has anyone tried running tuxtype as a local app on the client?

Not sure how this is done on a client booting to the server, but I'd love to give it a go. Could you please forward some instructions?

---
  Les Mikesell
   les futuresource com