[K12OSN] access to samba shares from winxp

norbert bear2bar at netscape.net
Wed Dec 8 01:14:30 UTC 2004

debbie at redeemer.qld.edu.au wrote:

> norbert wrote:
>
> > debbie at redeemer.qld.edu.au wrote:
> >
> >> WinXP Pro or Home? Apparently XP Home has issues with networking.
> We have a few XP Home workstations that are going to be downgraded to
> Windows98 over the holidays because I can't get them to play with
> Samba. And I don't think we can afford the upgrade to XP Pro.
> >>

> > Hi Debbie,
> >
> > Instead of "downgrading" them to Win .. anything ... why not upgrade
> to K12LTSP thin client system and use them as thin-client to access a
> W2K server via rdesktop or vnc ?
> > Win 9x may not be any better "playing" in a network, whereas linux
> thin-client will happily preform.
> > If you need more info or layout details, just write back, we have a
> great bunch of people who'll be delighted to help... :-)
> >
> > norbert
> >
> Hi Norbert,
>
> We don't have a W2K server - our very first, one and only, is a
> K12ltsp sever! Unfortunately it is k12 4.0.1 because of the scsi raid
> issue (see  '[K12OSN] Woe is me: Onboard SCSI/RAID Controller' message
> back in October). But I have got it running and plan to have a one
> year trial of 14 dual-booting PCs.
>
> In windows 98 mode (pressing 'Esc' while booting to escape the network
> boot) students have firefox & openoffice and access to 'shared files
> on Frederick' via samba (I've named our k12 server Fred) - just the
> basics cos we don't want to encourage them do we?!
>
> And then in k12ltsp client mode with icewm they'll get all the yummy
> goodies plus their own desktop & files.
>
> We have to run windows & k12 side by side because of legacy apps that
> need windows to run; the kind of app that needs to run off the CDrom
> and the kind that has no linux alternative. I'm hoping that kids will
> like k12 and use it most of the time, switching only to windows when
> they need to run a CDrom educational game.
>
> And finally - you are very right when you describe these people as
> great and delighted to help. A whole bunch of people that I have never
> met (except for 1) who have helped me enormously over the past few
> months.
>
> Thanks everyone!!!
>
> Debbie

Hi Debbie,

No what I meant was to have a W2K server on your K12ltsp network, then
the kids could access the "legacy" - (seems odd to talk about legacy &
Win in the same sentence ....) app via rdesktop. No need to switch
anything both Linux & Win would be available from the same terminals.
BTW there are programs & organizations where you can get a FREE W2K
license along with the CALS specifically for non-profits.

Cheers
norbert