[K12OSN] KNotify Problem

Calvin Park linuxsys at davisny.edu
Wed Dec 8 13:40:41 UTC 2004

One of my Computer Center Technicians left me a note describing an error
that occured last night and caused all terminals to reboot. He said
error messages came up on all screens at the same time last night...the
messages were something to the effect of "The application KNotify
crashed and caused the Signal II (SIGSEGV)."

The messages came up, all terminals locked, and then the system
rebooted. The screens all went blank, then about 10 minutes later all of
our network bootable machines started again. The others I started this
morning with boot disks.

I checked /var/log/messages this morning...I can't seem to find anything
about a KNotify problem. I did see where the server lost connection to
all the workstations (ie, I saw lots of failed pings), the server
whacked the displays and a minute or so later starting getting
DHCPREQUESTS again. The message directly before the failed pings was
from verynice about "Process measurement too slow."

If anyone has any light to shed on this problem, it'd be great. We're
running K12LTSP 4.1

--
Calvin Park
Assistant for Linux Systems