[K12OSN] access to samba shares from winxp

Bill Bardon bill at computassist.com
Wed Dec 8 16:36:47 UTC 2004

On Wednesday, Dec 08 Rob Owens wrote:
> How do you like Win4Lin?  Can you give me some details of how you use
> it, and if you've found any shortcomings?

I've used Win4Lin for three or four years, since version 3.0.  It is a
good solution for running legacy Windows apps on a desktop.  It does
have limitations.  The chief one is that it won't work as a multi-user
server from one installation.  You can install it multiple times, once
per user, and it shares some resources between instances, but a valid
Windows license and install is required per user.  It also doesn't
handle DirectX (for some games) or anything requiring Windows 2000
or XP.

That said, I love Win4Lin.  For supported apps (basically, anything that
will run on Win98) it's more stable than Windows.  If an app does crash,
you just kill the window and start the app again.  If you've tried WINE
and think Win4Lin is similar, think again.

Netraverse does have a Win4Lin Terminal Server product
(http://www.netraverse.com/products/wts/benefits.php) that performs like
a Windows terminal server box, but with all the stability and great
tools of Linux.  I haven't used it, but if you don't need to run XP-only
apps, it looks like a good solution.

--
Bill Bardon
COMPUTASSIST