[K12OSN] Student email

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Wed Dec 8 19:55:50 UTC 2004

Ok....now that there's some discussion over student email....hmmm.  My
plan....I'd like to set up email for all my students, but I only wnat them
to be able to email each other (ie: users on the system) and that's it.  I
also want to prevent anyone from the outside from emailing them as well.
In essence I want a closed system that is available from outside the LAN
by only the users on the system...thus students could conceivably store
files like was mentioned earlier with SquirrelMail and so forth...emailing
files to and from home is attractive.  We currently have a similar set up
with the State laptop program.  Students are limited to emailing within
the FirstClass (http://www.firstclass.com/) system.  They can backup files
and so forth, but it is limited to 7th and 8th grade...in other words
those with the laptops.  I want something for the rest of my kids without
opening that pandora's box of possible
harrasment....solicitation...spam...and all the other bad stuff that
parents worry about....I simply wnat them to have an intranet
communications tool that they can also use for backup.....any ideas?  PS.
I'm a big fan of SME server...so if can be done with that I'd be very
happy.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School