Re: [K12OSN] Student email

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 13:55, David Trask wrote:
> I simply wnat them to have an intranet
> communications tool that they can also use for backup.....any ideas?  PS.
> I'm a big fan of SME server...so if can be done with that I'd be very
> happy.

An SME server should work fine as a local mailbox.  Just break it's
connection to the outside via smtp.  There are any number of ways
to break things.  If it isn't going to serve ftp/http to the outside
just use a single NIC on the 'private' side of your network so inbound
connections can't reach it and use the 'mail forwarder' configuration
option to point outbound mail to a dummy address that will never work.
That way there is little customization to track during upgrades and
it is easy to make it public if your policy changes.

---
   Les Mikesell
    les futuresource com