[K12OSN] NOW SATA I hope

Liam Marshall lsrpm at mts.net
Fri Dec 10 17:50:48 UTC 2004

Ok, my local distributor has some reasonable prices on SATA drives now.

I am thinking to replace the old tired small non protected scsi drives with
4 - 80GB SATA drives in either raid 5 or 10 configuration using a Promise
Controller.

I help someone setup a DELL server that came with a Promise controller
(ATA) and it worked fine.  I actually used my burned discs of K12LTSP 4.0
to install Linux on their machine, minus the LTSP part, just a server.

It worked.  During installation Core recognized the raided drives as a
single scsi device, which is what linux does on a raaided IDE or ata
system, right?

Anyway, I figure if it worked there it will work for me.  Only problem is I
want to do this over Christmas holiday and transfer all from my old drives
into the new drives.

I have no idea how to do that.  My 2 old scsi drives have partitions
scattered across them.  /  (root) is by itself on one scsi drive, while
/home /opt and the /swap partition are one another scsi drive.  I also have
a cheap ide drive that has nothing on it but the boot partition.  I am
assuming that can stay.  But how do I transfer the other partitions over to
the new raided drives I will be installing, and then decommission the old
drives in order to use the new?

If someone could point the way or help in this it would be great