[K12OSN] restore backup with chroot + grub-install

Robert Arkiletian robark at telus.net
Sat Dec 11 05:51:35 UTC 2004

I backed up our RH9 server today using tar to save both / and /home
partitions to a mobile drive. Wondering if I can use a different version
of grub to restore once I untar to the new drive. I'm thinking "chroot
/sbin/grub-install". (Not sure of syntax for chroot and grub-install).
Can someone explain it.  Do I use grub on gnoppix or the untared RH9
that I'm restoring? Also booting with gnoppix, grub is version .95 and
in RH9 it's 0.93. Does it matter if the version of grub is different?
BTW the server has / on /dev/sda1 and the backup drive with the tar
files is /dev/hdb3 which I would mount from gnoppix as /mnt/hdb3

--

Robert Arkiletian