Re: [K12OSN] hard drive upgrade

At 12:50 PM 12/11/2004, you wrote:
On Sat, 2004-12-11 at 12:17, Liam Marshall wrote:
> I forgot to add, will this how to work if the users home directories are
> buried in the /home directory?   ie /home/grade1/user1.....user2.....etc

If you stick to the same distribution version you should be able
to just copy the whole /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/group (and add
/etc/gshadow).  If you upgrade distributions, you may have some
new or different users for systems services so you should probably
edit the files, keeping the newly created users below uid 500
and adding your old ones above uid 500.   As long as the location
of your home directories is the same on the new system as the
old, everything should work.  The only system reference to this
location is in /etc/passwd.  You can also move the location of
any home directory and adjust the reference in /etc/passwd if you
want to change the layout.

---
  Les Mikesell
    les futuresource com
ok, but do I want to upgrade? Any real advantages to 4.1.1 or is 4.2 out of beta and just spectacular?