[K12OSN] Boot issues with Beta 5 to 7

norbert bear2bar at netscape.net
Sun Dec 12 14:55:04 UTC 2004

olle at paalalinn.com wrote:

> Eric Harrison wrote:
>

>> The seventh beta build of K12LTSP 4.2.0 has been uploaded.
>>
>> I still have not been able to reproduce the ISO booting issue
>> a few have reported. To mitigate the issue, I included a copy
>> of boot.iso in with the K12LTSP ISOs. It is small, so it doesn't
>> really hurt much & it can come in handy.
>

> I think I have seen this problem.
> 4.2.0 beta5 was booted and installed correctly in 2 different
> computers - Dell laptop and AMD Athlon 900 computer.
> Now I tried to install it to totally new machine AMD Smptron 2600+ MSI
> K3M motherboard and samsung 52x32x52x cdrw.
> So no booting. I tried same type cdrw - nothing. I tried old dvdrom -
> nothing.
>
> Now I was booting same dvd-rom with old AMD Duron 750 - it works, now
> I changed dvd-rom with cdrw and it works too. So I burned boot.iso
> from first setup cd and booted from it to install linux to this new
> machine.

> All other hardware and software works well.
> ISO's was rsynced, md5sum was ok, k3b in k12ltsp4.1.1 was used to
> writing cd-s.
> Older computers haven't this booting problem.
> boot.iso boots ok,
> win2000 boots ok,
> but k12ltsp4.2.0 beta5 disk1 not a single time boots in this new
> computer.
>
> Olle Niit

Hi,

hmmm hate to burst your bubble, :-D , but with Beta 5 to 7 the first CD
boot issue comes up on a variety of systems. i.e.
P-III 450Mhz with 52x CDROM does not boot
P-II 233 with 8X boots
P-IV 2.66Ghz with 52X boots
P-III 733Mhz with 48X does not boot
P-IV 2.2Ghz with 52X boots
Dual P-III 800Mhz with 32X does not boot

Although all work with the "boot.iso" CD !! and also work with the
Fedora Core 3 CDs ????

I've tested at least 12 different computers swapping HW & still cannot
come up with a set pattern. Basically I just use the boot.iso and either
the new CDROM images or NFS images.

I hope this info can help....

norbert