Re: [K12OSN] Why 4.1.1

fhkms adelphia net wrote:
If I was to upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1, will I have to reassign user names and passwords?  I installed 4.1 on a seperate box from my server and I like the looks of it.  I am just dubious about starting over with configuration.  When you put the 4.1 cd in the server and it says "install or upgrade in graphic mode", does upgrade mean "upgrade" without having to start from the beginning?  Thanks!

---- Brian Beck <Linux_Man comcast net> wrote:

Liam Marshall wrote:

I use 4.0 now.  I am upgrading my hard drives.  I can either stick
with the version I have, or go up to the next stable version which is
4.1.1   right?

There is nothing wrong with 4.0 except for a few nagging things.  But
it is just as easy to migrate the users and home directories to 4.1.1
as to stick with 4.0 or nearly so as makes no difference.

So what are the biggest changes between 4.0 and 4.1.1?   What does
4.1.1 offer that 4.0 does not have?

Does it offer anything for student users?  Teachers?  Is it Easier to
administer/update?   Why would I go to this version?

I guess what I am asking is, is there a faq or something that lists
the changes/upgrades/additions between 4.0 and 4.1.1?

thanks in advance

The jump from 4.0 to 4.1 included the huge leap to the 2.6 kernel.  In
many situations, I've found the 2.6 kernel to be more efficient and less
bulky; it also includes better support for newer technologies.  4.1.1 is
essentially the same but with some bug fixes and updated program
versions.  I'm currently helping to run a Dual Opteron server based on
4.1.1, and it's a fantastic OS.