Re: [K12OSN] restore backup with chroot + grub-install

On Sat, 2004-12-11 at 22:12, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> Actually Les, I did that TOO. You see my backup drive is a 120GB ide
> drive plugged into a mobile rack. My server has two 36GB scsi drives,
> one for / and one for /home. I used fdisk to make the first partition on
> the backup drive exactly match /dev/sda1 (the / partition).  Then
>
> dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/hdb1

If you don't take the whole disk image to preserve the boot,
partition, and label info, you might as well use a file
based copy technique.  'cp -a' will work, or if you are
doing it repeatedly to stay up to date you can do:
 rysnc --delete --one-file-system -avH source_dir dest_dir
where the source/dest are the mount points of the partitions.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les futuresource com