Re: [K12OSN] restore backup with chroot + grub-install

Les Mikesell wrote:

Yes, an image copy of a partition will work, but if you have to fix
up a different-sized drive to boot, you might as well just run
grub-install and then you don't really have to worry about
sizes anywhere.

Good point.

Apart from the fact that tar can compress. I'm guessing tar is better at rebuilding the "structure" of the filesystem. Whatever that means.

No, both just open new files and write them. You can move from one
type of filesystem to another with either tool.

Good to know they are equally robust. I can't imagine doing this type of thing for a M$ box. The more I learn about Linux the more transparent everything becomes.

Rsync copies files using a temporary name and doesn't remove an existing
old file until the copy of the new one is complete.  I've only actually
seen that when running over the network, but I assume the same is true
for local copies.

What I meant was that you only have ONE copy of the backup with rsync. The whole concept of rsync is to be able to do an incremental backup. So it's very fast. But tar copies everything everytime (if you want it too). Slower but you have multiple copies.

Backuppc would automatically keep multiple copies
online for you compressing into even less space than tar images because
all files that don't change between runs become links that take almost
no space.

Sounds like the best of both worlds. I will have to look into Backuppc. For now though it's easy enough to use the mobile rack and the portable ide HD. Cheap too. Thanks for all your help Les. Let's hope I never have to use it.

--

Robert Arkiletian C++ GUI tutorial http://fltk.org/links.php?V219