[K12OSN] Student email

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Tue Dec 14 13:36:13 UTC 2004

Les Mikesell wrote:

>On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 13:55, David Trask wrote:
>

>>I simply wnat them to have an intranet
>>communications tool that they can also use for backup.....any ideas?  PS.
>>I'm a big fan of SME server...so if can be done with that I'd be very
>>happy.
>>

>An SME server should work fine as a local mailbox.  Just break it's
>connection to the outside via smtp.  There are any number of ways
>to break things.  If it isn't going to serve ftp/http to the outside
>just use a single NIC on the 'private' side of your network so inbound
>connections can't reach it and use the 'mail forwarder' configuration
>option to point outbound mail to a dummy address that will never work.
>That way there is little customization to track during upgrades and
>it is easy to make it public if your policy changes.
>
>---
>   Les Mikesell
>    les at futuresource.com

How about simply blocking SMTP to this box on your router or firewall?
Then you could have your students do like we did at the University of
Washington--ssh into the mail server and fire up
Evolution/Thunderbird/PINE/whatever mail client you want to give them.
This would restrict any email to that server, and only that server.

--TP