Re: [K12OSN] Student email

On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 07:36, "Terrell Prudé, Jr." wrote:

> How about simply blocking SMTP to this box on your router or firewall?
> Then you could have your students do like we did at the University of
> Washington--ssh into the mail server and fire up
> Evolution/Thunderbird/PINE/whatever mail client you want to give them.
> This would restrict any email to that server, and only that server.

That will work and you should be able to use any client on the LAN
side and webmail on the server if you don't want to ssh/vpn in.

However it would be slightly handier if you can allow imap and
authenticated smtp from outside so you can add it as an account
to a home email client and have it work normally.  I'm not sure
how to configure sendmail to require authentication for all
access though.  The usual setup permits unauthenticated reception
from outside to local addresses only but requires authentication
for non-local (relay) sending.

---
  Les Mikesell
    les futuresource com