[K12OSN] NASLite

David McAuliffe k12ltsp at wondergibbon.com
Wed Dec 15 03:52:03 UTC 2004

Hi all. Something interesting came up on the Lockergnome list the other
day- NASLite. NFS or SMB or FTP on floppy, with large disc support
bypassing the BIOS and low resource requirements. From the web site:

QUOTE

Basic System Requirements

NASLite v1.x is a network file server, so a fast computer is usually
not necessary. Basic requirements are:

486DX or better processor
PCI bus
16M or more of RAM
1 to 4 IDE fixed disk drives (any size)
PCI or on-board network interface adapter
3.5" floppy disk drive

In dedicated file servers, the performance is most often limited by the
network speed. Fast processors will not improve performance and
therefore are not required. A 200 MHz Pentium with 64M of RAM will be
more than capable of servicing a typical small office

/QUOTE

Note that they do have 100Mb and Gb NIC support available on separate
discs. Details of supported NIC chipsets are in the manuals, but they
look like the usual suspects.

IDE only, no CDROM, SCSI, etc. SMART support. Web based and console
admin, not to sure about authentication, file system etc yet. Based on
2.4 kernel. Files available by SMB + HTTP, NFS + HTTP, FTP + HTTP
depending on the disc used. Telnet support.

http://www.serverelements.com/naslite.php

Has anyone had a fiddle with one of these? It looks interesting, but
maybe a bit lightweight for larger needs- but who knows? I might have
to dust off an old box and throw a few IDEs at one to see.

I've no affiliation with them. I just thought it interesting.

David.

David McAuliffe - k12ltsp at wondergibbon.com
wondergibbon.com