[K12OSN] nbd & floppy access

Henry Burroughs hburroughs at HHPREP.ORG
Wed Dec 15 17:01:08 UTC 2004

Everyone,

I know there was a post in April concerning nbd & supermount for
mounting the floppy disks off the clients, has there been any progress
in that direction?  Is there a packaged version of the nbd-client and
nbd-server tools?  I've been able to use gnome-vfs and gconf to create
folder links that show up on everyone's desktop (and under Computer &
open/save too).   My thoughts were to use nbd and setup special folders
on the server like:

/usr/floppy-access/ws101
/usr/floppy-access/ws102
/usr/floppy-access/ws103

Using supermount to manage those devices, where ws101 would be the nbd
mount off of workstation ws101.  Ownership could be changed by a X11
init script (while still controlled by root) to the user who is logged
in that station.  Then using gconf and gnome-vfs (the connected_servers
section), you could actually have the floppy disk show up under
open/save/etc.

I think it requires some kernel compilation, etc... (not that I can't do
that... and I might hack on it some in January), just wanted to see if
anyone is working in that direction or if it is in k12ltsp 4.2.
Suggestions for using nbd or enbd in 2.6 connecting to the 2.4
clients?   enbd sounds pretty robust in that it autorestarts the
daemons, etc.

Henry