Re: [K12OSN] Script help

David Trask wrote:
Tuesday, December 14, 2004 at 12:01 PM +0000 wrote:

Could someone provide me with some guidance on writing a script to do distriute the user.js file? The script should probably just copy the file to the correct location in each user's directory and then change the permissions so that the user owns it. The location for user.js is:
/home/UserName/.mozilla/firefox/default.XYZ/
(Note that the "XYZ" is a randomly generated 3 alphanumeric string for each user.)

Not sure if this'll work, but maybe? Copy and edit using a text editor...name it something like user-js-move and then chmod a+x user-js-move to make it executable

!#/bin/bash
for x in `ls /home`; do
echo "Doing $x ..."

/bin/cp -Rf /root/user.js
/home/${x}/UserName/.mozilla/firefox/default.XYZ/

#I'm making the assumption the the user.js file is in the root
folder....substitute where necessary

#you may be able to use a wildcard for the "default.XYX" such as default.*

chown -R ${x}.Users
/home/${x}/UserName/.mozilla/firefox/default.XYZ/user.js

#(or you can simply do chown -R ${x}.Users /home/${x}/ and it will
make sure everything in the users home dir is set right)
#also note that I have chown -R ${x}.Users as all my users belong to the
group Users however if you do the common RedHat way where each user is
also a group ex: jsmith:jsmith #you can do chown -R ${x}.${x}

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask vcs u52 k12 me us
(207)923-3100

Thanks, David! A couple of tweaks and it works like a charm. The final product is:
#!/bin/bash
for x in `ls /home`; do
echo "Copying user.js to $x ..."
/bin/cp -Rf /root/user.js /home/${x}/.mozilla/firefox/default.*/
chown -R ${x}.users /home/${x}/.mozilla/firefox/default.*/user.js
done

David, any word on the summer Linux conference in Maine?

Thanks, again!
Mike