Re: [K12OSN] Interesting conversation....concepts vs. OS

Hi David,

I found this post very interesting, especially where you describe your three OS setup where students can *choose* the best OS suited for a task. And the bit about teaching word processing concepts in one app and then testing to see how their skills transfer in a new/different app. I'll be using that method in my class next year, thanks!

I'm hoping you can offer some advice here about dual booting -

Our mini-lab of PIIIs is setup so that the default boot is a network boot to the K12ltsp server. Students can however press 'Esc' and then boot to windows on the hard drive. Fine for PCs that can do a network boot like that but what about older PCs? We don't have a windows terminal server to connect to via rdesktop, if we did I'd convert the older PCs to thin clients and that would be that.

I've converted older PCs to thin clients by copying a rom-o-matic floppy to the entire hard drive using method described here: http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/Technical%3ABooting%3AClient%3ALiLo

So I was wondering if I could modify the method above. A rom-o-matic floppy boot on a PC starts off with a query like 'Boot from Network or Quit?'.

Now I don't know if this can be done because I don't know much about how partitioning hard drives works, but this is what I would like to do:
I'd like to copy the rom-o-matic floppy to a *portion* of the hard drive which loads first; it asks me the question 'Network or Quit?' and then if I say Quit, it loads up windows on the other portion of the hard drive.

IS IT POSSIBLE?

That way we can have both linux & windows on the older PCs instead of just linux (some teachers won't be happy with that) or just windows (*I* won't be happy with that!). Also - it leaves the choice of OS up to the kids.

Thanks,

Debbie
--
http://www.redeemer.qld.edu.au/