Re: [K12OSN] Silly Question

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 15:17, Dale Sykora wrote:
> Liam Marshall wrote:
> > I have a silly question.  My ASUS motherboard, dual cpu'd, I believe
> > only has 32 bit PCI slots.  Just got a raid controller that is 64 bit.
> > I believe I am screwed, but does a 32 bit slot accept a 64 bit card and
> > function?
> I have used Intel 1Gb network cards that were 64bit pci-x in old
> machines that only had 32bit pci connectors.  They work fine although
> the pci bus may be the throughput bottleneck.

It depends on the card.  Some cards will work in 32 or 64 bit slots.
Some of the longer 64 bit cards will even work in short 32 bit slots
with the rest of the card outside the slot but it is card dependant.
They either have a 32 bit compatibility mode or not.

Not a great answer I know but it varies...

Tim