[K12OSN] An idea regarding SME server and authentication

I have an idea...wanted to bounce it off you all.  What if....

One of the main issues with using SME server as a central point of
authentication and home dirs is that the directory structure of "home" on
SME is  /home/e-smith/files/users/"username"/home   What if we created
symlinks in /home to all the users home dirs.....example the link for
/home/jsmith would point to /home/e-smith/users/jsmith/home   then we
could export and thus mount /home....and the symlinks "might" (haven't
tried it yet) point to the actual home dir?  Then we could auth via SMB
using authconfig and mount home dirs that are export via NFS.  Thoughts?
Could this work or am I crazy?

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School