Re: [K12OSN] Tax Deductions

Through the student computer club on campus I've managed to get over 100 computers (PIIs and better!) and a bunch of monitors, mid-range switches, cables etc. The donor gets a letter with the school letter-head thanking them and referencing their donation... no monetary value is assigned.

hth
Dennis

Jim Hays wrote:
When people donate computers to our schools, we simply write a letter thanking
them for the donation. It is up to the person making the donation to itemize
the donation on their return. The letter is verification of the donation. There is not any "red tape".

Quoting Rob Owens <robowens myway com>:

I'm not an accountant, so don't take my word as gospel...

I worked w/ a not-for-profit organization that occasionally received
donations. For one of the larger donations, the donor asked us for a "thank
you letter" to him stating what was donated, and to include our tax ID number
on it.

To my knowledge, the recipient of the donation does not have to do anything
but accept the donation and possibly record it as income. It's the donor who
needs to claim the deduction on his taxes and must be able to back up his
claim in case of an audit.

-Rob

--- On Mon 12/27, Barry Solof < barry yellowdog com > wrote: From: Barry Solof [mailto: barry yellowdog com] To: k12osn redhat com Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 12:20:16 -0500 Subject: [K12OSN] Tax Deductions

Hi,<br><br>How do you handle contributions made to your school so the
school setup with k12ltsp for about two <br>years. We've found enough old
computers, monitors and keyboards for our <br>project from a local government
agency. We had a little money set aside <br>and it looked like we were just
about set to go. Then there was a <br>problem with the schools budget and
many, many things got axed. The <br>monies for the k12ltsp servers were in
for the cuts, either. Money is so tight that they <br>have to worry about a
lot more than computer systems right now. But I'd <br>still like to figure
out how to get them started with K12ltsp. It would <br>change their
world.<br><br>So it looks like we're going to have to go begging for
donations of good <br>equipment to the school. I think the only real chance
for success with <!
br>this approach would be to offer tax deductions for the contributors. <br>What sort of red tape or accounting is required to be able to do this
donations? <br><br>Many
mailing
more info see <http://www.k12os.org><br>