[K12OSN] new server serial ATA or SCSI

Ken Meyer kmeyer at blarg.net
Thu Feb 19 10:03:06 UTC 2004

My understanding has been that early IDE controllers could deal with only
one of the two potentially connected devices at a time.  That was why it was
recommended that you put your hard drive and CD on different controllers.
Then, at some point, it seemed that the devices could be accessed
independently.  It has never been clear to me how you can tell if they are
or aren't, or even if it is done in the controller or the drivers, but I
have presumed that it is SOP, probably in hardware, by this time.

How many SATA drives can you put on a controller?  SCSI allows a lot, but at
some point, doesn't the PCI bus become the choker?  I recall those big
buffer boards that didn't seem to do much for performance.

Stand-by for new 3Ware boards.  Don't know whether they will leverage
on-drive TCQ, or will do it themselves though.

Ken Meyer