[K12OSN] Changing proxy settings

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Fri Feb 20 13:22:01 UTC 2004

Joe Guenther wrote:

>The PROBLEM with this on an LTSP box is that you as the terminal are the
>same IP as the proxy.  So if you cut off the IP address of the user, squid
>can now no longer talk either ... catch 22
>
>read my other thread on the solution to this.... use UID verification in
>IPTABLES
>
>joe

Given your clarification of the problem being solved I wholeheartedly
concur.  I have used UID restrictions in the OUTPUT chain of the filter
table and it is very powerful.  Something like this should do the trick:

*filter
-A OUTPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
-A OUTPUT -o eth1 -m owner --uid-owner root -j ACCEPT
-A OUTPUT -o eth1 -m owner --uid-owner named -j ACCEPT
-A OUTPUT -o eth1 -m owner --uid-owner squid -j ACCEPT
-A OUTPUT -o eth1 -j REJECT
COMMIT

I don't know what else you have configured on this server, so be careful
when/how you test this.
The following commands can help to see what is happening if you don't
get expected results:
cat /proc/net/ip_conntrack
iptables -vL OUTPUT

Chris