[K12OSN] Cups printing from Windows XP?

Shahms King shahms at shahms.com
Fri Feb 20 16:57:13 UTC 2004

Well, the main problem is that Windows expects to be able to do a good
number of non-standard things before it will print to an IPP printer.
If you turn logging up and look at the logfiles when the Windows machine
connects, you'll see a lot of requests for files ending in
'{a-bunch-of-gibberish-with-dashes}'.  This is Windows requesting
alternate streams (I believe) which CUPS (obviously) doesn't support.
Failing to find those, it mistakenly believes the printer doesn't exist
and exits.  The only way I've had success with this is setting up samba
to use cups ("printing = cups" *and* "printcap = cups") and then
connecting to the samba printer with Windows.  Maybe they'll fix it,
maybe they won't.  The problem is not cups, but, as usual, Windows'
semi-standard implementation of IPP.

Shahms King <shahms at shahms.com>