[K12OSN] "thick" client for now, thin client later...

Richard K. Ingalls ringalls at glenwood.k12.mo.us
Fri Feb 20 18:17:02 UTC 2004

My school may be getting a grant for two mini
labs: 10 student PCs + Teacher PC + all the
trimmings (smartboard, etc.).  The catch is that
the teachers will be getting training that will
come only in the form of Microsoft Office and
Windows XP + Inspiration.

My goal is to purchase hardware that makes it
possible for me to switch these mini-labs into
K12LTSP labs when our grant/project is expired.
I'll get teacher PCs that are powerful enough to
be servers.  The question is the student PCs...

I really want to have *very* small form factor PCs
for the clients.  But, they will have to support a
hard drive and CD-ROM  when they're running in
Windows mode.

I've been thinking of simply buying refurbished
Dell Optiplexes (which I've done before).  BUT, I
lose all the benefits of a true thin client (space
saving, energy saving, noise reducing).

Any suggestions?

Richard K. Ingalls
Director of Information Technology